Sunday, April 17, 2022

Curious about Why Writing is so Difficult

I'm a good writer.
At least, that's what I've been told. Over the years my teachers, parents, friends, co-workers, husband, and even random strangers on the internet
have told me now and again that I'm a good writer.

At the very least, I have the potential to become a good writer.
Reading this you might not agree, and that's okay. I'm not sure I agree either.

Here's what I'm curious about.

I enjoy writing. I've been told over the years that I have some talent. Not Stephen King or Kristin Hannah or Margaret Atwood kind of talent. Heck, not even random self-published author down the street level of talent. Their book might be terrible but at least they finished one.

Still. Some talent.

Then why is writing so hard? It's bang your head against your desk, helplessly staring at the screen searching for words, constantly berating your terrible writing skills kind of hard. It's looking for anything else to do. (Including laundry, washing the dishes, dusting, watching TikTok videos and literally any other pastime other than writing.)

No. That's not true. It's even HARDER THAN THAT.

This is despite the fact that I desperately want to finish what I'm working on, even if it is a pile of shit.

Why is it that something I truly enjoy (when the words come) and want to do is bafflingly difficult?

I will never understand this.


No comments:

Post a Comment